Literacy/ Reading for Pleasure
Literacy is about more than simply being able to read and write. It is about having cultural literacy, fluency and being able to enjoy the words that surround us daily. It is what allows a student to develop, explore and engage with the world around them on a higher level.
Reading for Pleasure
At Hungerhill School we believe that reading is a fundamental part of life and a skill which should be developed to support lifelong learning. Our aim is to embed a strong, sustainable reading ethos and culture within our school community, and help students to foster a love of reading through a wide range of rich and diverse texts. We hope to empower students to value their freedom of choice and independence when it comes to reading for enjoyment, and to understand that the experiences gained through reading are unlike any other, as we encourage them to become empathetic global citizens.
We believe that a reading child is a successful child and that:
- Children deserve a rich curriculum which encourages extensive reading of books and texts,
- Planning enables links across the curriculum, creating a wide range of opportunities for children to read for pleasure,
- Children will have the opportunity to experience whole books to support them in their understanding of literary structures and allow them the opportunity to experience the world from a different point of view,
- All children should have access to a wide range of texts in different formats and genres, as well as the support needed to enjoy the books and texts they are reading,
- Children will be encouraged to read texts which reflect their own heritage and that of other cultural groups.
- Children should be allowed to explore and engage with texts in their native language.
Reading Displays Around School